Environmentally Friendly Homes on the Outer Banks
Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 | Posted in: Home Renovations, New Homes
This week we will be discussing ways to make your home as environmentally friendly as possible. Some of these ideas are easy to build into an existing home as remodeling projects, and some are more suitable for a new custom built home. Whichever situation applies to you, I am sure that you will find some eco-inspiration in this article.
I expect to revisit this topic at a later date, so let’s just go over some of the more well known ways to make your home a little more green:
- Solar Power – This is one that we have all known about for years. The power of the sun is essentially free and absolutely sustainable. You can generate quite a bit of electricity for your home with solar panels and minimize your carbon footprint.
- Wind Power – Not as popular as solar power, but everyone has seen the wind turbine spinning over one of our most popular breweries. It won’t be difficult for you to harness the wind in a similar fashion.
- Efficient Appliances – The easiest way to go green without making serious changes to your home. Installing an energy efficient water heater, heating/cooling system, refrigerator, etc. can drastically reduce your electricity usage, which is good for the environment and good for your pocket.
- Open Air Options: This has two categories
- Lighting – Natural lighting, via large open walls and skylights can cut your daytime lighting requirements to zero.
- Cooling – Open walls and ceilings, designed to catch the wind, can replace your electric cooling system for much of the year.
- Other considerations – This is off the topic, but open air design for lighting and fresh, flowing air has a major impact on human mental states. You will be improving your life dramatically while helping the environment.
East Coast Construction can help you to build a custom green home or improve your existing home to be more environmentally friendly. East Coast Construction has decades of experience as the most trusted Outer Banks home builder and can give you the green home you desire.
East Coast is your choice for Outer Banks construction from Corolla to Hatteras and everywhere in between.